Pillar 4: Creating an Inclusive Workplace Culture
Fostering an Inclusive Workplace Culture
When it comes to leadership perception versus employee perception on inclusive workplace culture, there is a gap of about 20%. A report by Accenture shows that the proportion of employees who do not feel included in their organization is about nine times higher than their employers predicted.
But there are ways to ensure that your workplace is one of the inclusive ones. Here are some tips:
- Develop and communicate workplace inclusion statements, goals, and commitments.
- Make culture, diversity, and inclusion a business priority.
- Consider who isn’t being heard and ask why.
- Encourage employee commitment to inclusive workplace behaviours.
- Build respectful culture and inclusion behaviors into staff evaluations.
- Recognize, value, and accommodate difference – diversity is a strength.
- Ensure workplace processes, communications, and technology are accessible.
Leadership is perhaps the most important element of equitable and inclusive workplaces that celebrate diversity. When workplaces have leaders that model inclusive behaviours, employees tend to follow suit.
Since 2011, Deloitte has studied inclusive leadership extensively. Their research reveals that people feel included when:
- They are treated fairly
- Their uniqueness is appreciated
- They have a sense of belonging
- They have a voice in decision making
The Six Signature Traits of Inclusive Leadership
Deloitte has identified six signature traits of inclusive leaders:
- Cultural intelligence
Leaders who embody these traits and incorporate them consistently in how they work with employees are better able to tap into the benefits that come from diversity within the workplace.
- Business Insider. (2020, March 4). C-suite leaders are making a big assumption about their workforce — and it's bleeding the economy of $1.05 trillion. Retrieved from Lack of Diversity and Inclusion at Work Is Costing Companies Billions (businessinsider.com)
- Deloitte. (2016, April 16). The six signature traits of inclusive leadership. Retrieved from: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insights/topics/talent/six-signature-traits-of-inclusive-leadership.html